REFERENCE NUMBER: 001
Position(s):Casual (Awake Night Support Worker, Early Childhood Educator Assistant; Early Childhood Educator; Employment Counsellor; Residence Worker; Community Support Worker; Adult, Youth, and/or Child Worker)
Department: Residential Services, Support Services
TDCSS fosters an environment of continuous learning and a work culture of professional development. All employees of TDCSS are expected to participate in ongoing professional growth and development activities.
Using a respectful person served-centered team approach; the Casual Employee provides care, guidance, and support to people who have a developmental disability, acquired brain injury, FASD, behavioral challenges, mental health issues, Autism Spectrum Disorder, or other diagnoses.
- Maintain a high ethical standard with regard to the person’s served right to be treated with dignity and respect. This includes but is not limited to promoting a positive image of the person served in the community.
- Present a positive image of the Agency in the community. This includes but is not limited to abiding by the TDCSS’s Policy and Procedures including the Code of Conduct and the Code of Ethics
- Utilize a variety of approved, person served-centered, respectful techniques and approaches to provide care, guidance, and support.
- Work with assigned persons served individually or in groups, to facilitate the attainment of goals as outlined in the Person-Centered Plan of Care.
- Network with co-workers regarding issues relevant to the support of the person receiving services.
- Prepare for each shift by becoming familiar with the current person served/support issues.
- Provide for the medical and personal needs of persons served in a respectful, proactive manner as directed by the Supervisor and/or the person served service plan.
- Facilitate the attainment of goals, implement and evaluate steps (progress) in cooperation with the participant, the participant’s family, the Supervisor, CLBC staff, and others as directed by the Supervisor.
- Actively participate in person served program planning and evaluation sessions as requested by the Supervisor.
- Actively participate in staff meetings, performance reviews, and planning sessions, as requested by the Supervisor.
- Facilitate appropriate communication between the person served, their family, Supervisor, community and other supports and services.
- Treat all matters relating to the person served, TDCSS Community Living Services’ business, and TDCSS business as confidential.
- Maintain files and logs according to standard practice and TDCSS policy and procedure.
- Actively participate in social and community committees, Task Forces and Boards as approved by the Supervisor.
- Maintain current working knowledge of and abide by all relevant Program and Society policy and procedures, and Federal and provincial legislation.
- Explore ongoing professional development opportunities and participate in training as requested by the Supervisor.
- Report all noteworthy changes and/or potentially difficult situations to the Supervisor and make recommendations for a solution using approved procedures.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Various – no guaranteed hours
- Schedules are based on the individual’s availability, and program and organizational needs
Shifts: DAYS, EVENINGS, NIGHTS, WEEKENDS
Rate of Pay: the base rate at Grid 6- $16.40 (Step 1) to $19.10 (Step 2)
- Hourly rate will be based on the shifts worked but base rate is as stated above
- Ranges from Grid 6 up to Grid 10 ($18.47 to $21.51)
Union Status: Union membership required
- This position is gender inclusive. Specific worksites/positions are Gender Specific.
- Grade 12 diploma, or equivalent
- A combination of education, training and/or recent related experience will be given consideration for this position.
- A relevant diploma or certificate with experience providing service to people who have a developmental disability.
- Mandt Training or Non-Violent Crisis Intervention (CPI)
- Demonstrated ability to follow through with assigned tasks
- Experience in working with people who have challenging behaviors
- Experience in working with people who have a dual-diagnosis
- Experience providing service/care to people who have a developmental disability and/or challenging behaviors.
Skills and Abilities
- Good oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule
- Must be able to plan and participate in a wide variety of social, and physical activities, including sports.
- Attendance and participation in community events
- Proficient in use of computers
- Ability to plan & organize work/workspace, keep files up-to-date and organized
- TDCSS Medical Certificate
- TB Skin Clearance test
- Proof of Current Tetanus Shot
- Provincial Attorney General Criminal Record Check Clearance
- Must be accessible by phone
- Class 5 driver’s license (or N level licensing and personal vehicle for business use)
- Ability to participate in a variety of recreational activities (swimming, skating, walking etc., on all shifts worked)
- Driver’s Abstract
- Own reliable vehicle, with the ability to transport individuals
- Valid Business Insurance
- RCMP PIC Clearance (to work in child or youth residential programs)
- Emergency Community Care First Aid or equivalent
- Class 4 BC Driver’s License
Pay and Benefits will be in accordance with TDCSS and BCGEU Local 312 Collective Agreement. This position requires union membership.
This position requires the successful applicant to be ready and able to work with all persons served and to provide intimate personal care when necessary.
TDCSS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, however, only successful applicants will be contacted.
Please apply for each posting that you are interested separately, even if you have previously applied with TDCSS.
All internal and external applications must be submitted via email to: hiring @tdcss.ca
External Applicants: Please include a completed TDCSS Employment Application (found on our website), Cover Letter, Resume and three work references.
Closing Date: N/A ongoing
|Job Category||Casual Employee|