Reference Number: 711 – 26
Position: Family Law Advocate (Full-time) TDCSS Support Services
Job Summary: The Family Law Advocate provides family law advocacy services that provide a range of legal advocacy and assistance to individuals in the community. The Family Law Advocate will also liaise with community groups and prepare and present public legal education sessions.
Areas of law covered: Primarily family law, including child protection, with some assistance in other overlapping matters (e.g. immigration, criminal, etc.).
▪ Screen and identify legal issues according to program guidelines under the direction of the supervising lawyer including; guardianship and parenting time, child support, spousal support, divorce, separation agreement, family court, Supreme Court, property and debts, and child protection
▪ Provide support, legal resources, information and appropriate referrals by telephone, website, email and appointment
▪ Assess client information and determine eligibility for referral to Legal Aid
▪ Where appropriate, support clients through the civil court system, including if necessary, court preparation and accompaniment, but not representation
▪ Follow-up with lawyers/clients re: progress/outcome of case ▪ Conduct legal information workshops
▪ Maintain contact with lawyers, Law Foundation of BC, Legal Services Society to build and maintain rapport and keep up to date with client issues Administrative and Other
▪ Research current policies and procedures, laws, new bills and case law, etc. to keep current with various client issues
▪ Ensure legal resources are kept current, requesting/ordering the various library materials, brochures etc.
▪ Maintain program records and statistics regarding services and activities ▪ Attend external meetings as needed
Hours 8:30am – 4:30 pm (35 hours per week)
Shifts Monday through Friday * must be willing to work a flexible schedule (evenings and/or weekends) when required
Rate of Pay: $22.41 – $25.00 hourly
Start Date April 1, 2019
Education and/or Experience Required:
▪ Post-secondary education/or equivalent training and education in Paralegal services, Criminology, Psychology, Social Work, Family Law or related social service program
▪ Good understanding of Family Law and working knowledge of Poverty and Immigration Law
▪ Knowledge of community resources and other social service agencies ▪ Knowledge of Legal Services policies and procedures
▪ Excellent verbal and written communication skills; MS Office skills; Work, Excel and Outlook.
▪ Ability to work effectively with clients who are experiencing a range of sensitive issues
▪ Ability to take initiative, identify urgent work items and set priorities
▪ Must be able to direct and able to manage confidential information
▪ Must have a valid Driver’s License and access to a vehicle
• Experience and knowledge pertaining to Family Law in BC.
• Proven problem-solving ability
• Ability to liaise with outside agencies
• Ability to adapt to meet the clients’ emotional and developmental changes
• Time management and organizational skills
• Demonstrated competency in written & verbal communication
• Valid BC driver’s license
• Vehicle with business insurance
• Proficiency in computer use
• Travel may be required
An equivalent of education and/or experience will be considered for this job.
Job Descriptions are available upon request from the TDCSS HR Department.
Pay and Benefits will be in accordance with TDCSS.
This is an excluded (non-union) position.
TDCSS is an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, however only successful applicants will be contacted. This position is gender inclusive. Please apply for each posting that you are interested separately, even if you have previously applied with TDCSS. All applications must be submitted to: email@example.com Date Posted: February 6, 2019 Closing Date: February 19, 2019
|Job Category||Full Time, Non-union, Support Services|