Reference Number: 910-142
Position: Medical Office Assistant (MOA)
Program: Foundry Terrace
Reporting Authority/Accountability: The Medical Office Assistant is accountable to the Foundry Site Clinical Lead, and the Director of HR and Operations.
Operated by Terrace and District Community Services Society, Foundry Terrace offers safe, welcoming and confidential services, programs and resources to help young people between the ages of 12 and 24, thrive. Whether it’s finding the answer to a question, meeting with a counsellor, seeing a doctor, or simply having a conversation, the Foundry Terrace walk-in center makes it easier for young people to connect to information, services and each other.
The Foundry Terrace Medical Office Assistant (MOA) will provide medical office assistant support for the Foundry Terrace medical and clinical staff as well as reception duties.
Within the context of a patient, client and family centred step model of care and, in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Foundry Terrace and Terrace and District Community Services Society, the Foundry Terrace MOA will promote a safe, respectful, and civil working environment for patients, residents, families, visitors and staff.
Reporting to the Director of HR and Operations or designate, the MOA performs a variety of administrative, secretarial and general clerical duties such as screening and prioritizing incoming correspondence, maintaining appointment calendars for designated staff, and assisting the Foundry Terrace site in the development and implementation of administrative policies and procedures. Our MOA will perform reception, and receive and process intake referrals, answer routine inquiries, and book appointments. Process a variety of reports, forms, and correspondence using standard word-processing, spreadsheet and presentation software; maintain client charts and filing systems, and monitor and order office and clinic supplies, and clean and sterilize medical equipment as required.
- Welcomes and provides, in office, by telephone, and by email, general and current information to clients, community, and agencies regarding Foundry programs and community resources. Refers inquiries as appropriate and following protocols for obtaining assistance in an emergency/crisis situation.
- Demonstrates empathy, openness, and sensitivity to all clients to assist them to feel safe and supported within the Foundry Centre.
- Provides assistance in booking appointments and manages the booking of rooms and resources by staff and community members if applicable.
- Maintains an attractive and welcoming environment in the waiting and reception areas.
- Manages the telephones and answering system, including adding or modifying users and mailboxes.
- Provides word processing and typing support with regard to confidential materials, routine correspondence, meeting minutes, forms, etc. Required to use other related application software, computer and printer equipment, facsimile equipment, paper shredder, etc.
- Maintains and updates confidential files and filing systems.
- Arranges meetings, schedules appointments and makes travel arrangements; schedules appointments for program staff when required. Schedules and books meeting rooms. Prepares agendas and takes minutes at meetings as required.
- Collects, researches, organizes and summarizes data from a variety of sources and produces reports as required.
- Performs secretarial duties for clinic staff such as screening and prioritizing incoming clinic mail, maintaining appointment schedules, arranging meetings and participating in, meetings as required, prepares agendas and handouts, takes minutes, word processes and distributes minutes, or notes of meetings, and composes correspondence in accordance with established procedures. Also completes photo copying, faxing etc as needed.
- Assists with clinic and program activities by booking appointments, checking appointment lists, notifying clients of appointments, assembling and obtaining relevant client information, filling out laboratory requisitions, booking tests, and ensuring sufficient clinical, stationary, and client literature supplies are on hand.
- Responds to calls/answers inquiries regarding routine program information, relaying phone messages to staff, and greeting clients in waiting area.
- Receives intake referrals, completes documentation required for admission, and enters client information into the applicable clinical information/admitting system or client scheduling system; makes up charts from intake information. Enters consultation information such as diagnosis, tests ordered, test results etc, into the database to ensure client records are up to date.
- Produces a variety of letters, memos, consultation reports, progress notes, agendas etc. from draft or verbal instruction using standard desktop word-processing, spreadsheet and presentation software at an intermediate level, obtains signatures, and distributes and files documents
- Compiles statistical information such as number of client visits, types of diagnosis, number of follow up visits, enters in spreadsheets, and prints monthly reports.
- Assists Supervisor/Coordinator by providing inputin the development and interpretation of administrative policies/procedures/processes and related documents. Updates manuals by word processing new policies and procedures and adding or replacing information in manuals as directed and/or drafts procedures for review and approval.
- Authorizes expenditures within a set limit, maintains/balances petty cash account and processes associated billings.
- Maintains client files by preparing, assembling and labelling charts, placing required documentation on charts, and checking to ensure information in chart is complete. Follows up on missing information and archives inactive files.
- Maintains levels of general office and clinic supplies and ensures equipment maintenance by methods such as troubleshooting office equipment problems, monitoring inventory levels, identifying requirements and/or receiving and processing requests for maintenance, ordering and/or completing requisitions as per established procedures, checking goods received with packing slips to verify order received, documenting, distributing and storing shipments.
- Delivers and disposes of supplies, biologicals, materials, and equipment by performing duties such as packaging, making arrangements for pickup and delivery, and transporting.
- Provides support in clinical settings by performing duties such as setting up and dismantling rooms and calibrating and cleaning equipment such as scales and glucometers.
- Cleans and sterilizes medical/clinic equipment and instruments in accordance with established procedures by performing duties such as preparing and changing solutions, washing and drying instruments, preparing and wrapping instruments and dressings for autoclaving, and operating and cleaning autoclave machines. Assists staff with maintaining orderliness of work areas.
- Prepares and labels antiseptic and stock solutions and prepares nursing bags by cleaning and stocking with medical supplies, dressings, and equipment.
- Arranges building maintenance and cleaning including liaising with janitorial/maintenance staff, arranging external/internal maintenance, recommending and overseeing minor modifications/renovations to the worksite and participating in space planning and space utilization, as per established policies and procedures.
- Provides support to new staff by providing an informal overview of work area, advising staff of office procedures, and demonstrating use of various equipment.
- Provides direction to volunteers and monitors and assists as required.
- Registering and triaging of patients, including setting up new patients with the Foundry toolbox system.
- Ensuring all patient demographics are up to date whenever they register to be seen
- Making sure that highlighted :”tasks” on patient charts at registration are dealt with if directed to the MOA (eg: fill out mental health questionnaires listed at next appointment before seen by physician or NP)
- Checking on all MOA “tasks” daily
- Ensuring patient flow during clinics
- Notifying patients about specialist appointments or imaging appointments, notifying patients who need to return to clinic
- Helping out with “Runner” duties, including pregnancy tests, urine dips when needed
- Ensuring all specimens are labelled and that their requisitions are properly filled out
- Stocking exam rooms
- Letting manager know when supplies need to be ordered
- Intermittently helping out with Patient intake if needed
- Autoclaving if needed
- MSP Billing and preparing sessional invoices
- Perform other related duties as deemed necessary and/or required by the Executive Director and/or designate.
Hours 35-40 hours per week FULL-TIME WEEKLY
Will consider a job share with two willing MOA’s
Shifts Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5:00pm. Will be required to attend board meetings and special events at the times they are scheduled. Must be willing to be flexible.
Start Date: ASAP
End Date n/a – Permanent
Education, Training, and Experience
Grade 12, medical office assistant course from a recognized institution plus two (2) years’ recent, related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Check: Must maintain a satisfactory criminal records check
- Integrity– professional whose honesty, integrity, confidentiality and high ethical standards contributes to effective leadership and optimal business relationships
- Energy – displays enthusiasm, optimism, drive and passion while maintaining a high level of productivity and a balanced lifestyle
- Diversity – understands the importance of different backgrounds, perspectives and experiences and is respectful of individual differences
- Communication – effectively expresses ideas and conveys information in business writing, conversations and interactions with others
- Client Service Excellence– understands the importance of quality client service by being courteous, responding to client requests in a timely manner and monitoring satisfaction
- Teamwork & Relationship Development– works collaboratively with team members in order to achieve a common goal and develops, maintains and strengthens relationships with others, both inside and outside the Firm
- Accountability – takes responsibility for one’s own performance by setting clear goals and tracking progress against those goals; is highly organized and uses personal judgement and decision making
- Flexibility – effectively manages multiple assignments, adapts to changing priorities and is able to work independently or as part of a team
An equivalent of education and/or experience will be considered for this job.
Pay and Benefits will be in accordance with the TDCSS Contract of Employment and will include:
Benefits: to begin after three months of employment or equivalent hours worked.
Benefits include: medical, dental, extended health, MPP (Municipal Pension Plan)
TDCSS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
This position is open to applicants of all genders
All applications must be submitted to: email@example.com All applications must include: Cover Letter, Resume and three work references
Date Posted: March 26, 2021 Closing Date: when filled